Friday 3 February 2017

First Week

My first week is almost up!  It's hard to believe I am nearly half way through my residency here at Pearson College.  There have been so many emotions coming up these days - missing my friends from my time at Pearson, excitement to share my experiences, peace, tranquility, joy, sadness.

Some highlights from the last few days:

- Doing yoga in the spiritual center with students
- Buying chocolate from the student store and having some great conversations with students
- Mealtime conversations and actually enjoying the food!
- Leading a workshop on emotional resilience and effective communication
- Meeting up with former teachers and friends
- English tutoring
- Living in the tiny home

Not much has changed since I left Pearson 5.5 years ago.  The lower branches on many trees have been cut off to make the campus more bright and for safety reasons. Calgary House is beautiful after the renovations.  New chairs in the caf.  That's all I can think of right now!  I'm sure there are other subtle differences, though.

One thing that has come up many times is the pressure students feel to succeed - in academics, and just general life here.  I forgot how stressful life here can be and how the comparison game plays out.  I am trying to have  conversations openly about the fears that the students have and share my experience in the hopes of reassuring them that they are not failures.

Talk soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment