Tuesday 15 January 2019

Experiencing Pearson as an Alumni's daughter



I am the daughter of Alumni Chris Matthews. Chris attended Pearson College from 1981-82 (Year 7). Chris described Pearson as a place of unity, diversity, and opportunity. A lot of my father's passions and dreams began to form at Pearson College. One of the most impactful elements of Pearson for him was when he learned to sail. Years down the road, once he met my mom and was married he bought a boat and sailed around the world for two years before having children. This dream started at Pearson College. My mother Carol always described her marriage to Chris as strong as they weathered many storms sailing. Living on a boat together really prepared them for the years ahead of commitment. Further, at Pearson Chris did a large study on algae. Chris had always loved anything to do with nature and biology. After Pearson he studied Marine Biology at Dalhousie University in Nova Scotia. He decided he wanted to become a medical missionary and applied to medical school after Dalhousie. He got into medical school and not long after he felt he was called to become a pastor instead. He dropped out of medical school and started seminary at Dallas Theological Seminary. He met my mother in Dallas through an intercity children's support ministry that my father had started. All in all, I say all of this to speak on behalf of how Pearson College was incredibly formative for my father. Pearson College gave him the space to really dream. He died peacefully March 9th, 2011 from internal bleeding. He lived like he was fully alive everyday of his life with a countenance and joy that was unmistakable. My name is Cadence, I am oldest daughter of Chris. I have followed in my fathers footsteps in many ways. I have been studying theology and religion for the last 6 years. When I finally came for a tour of Pearson last April I really had a longing to be apart of its community. I have begun my volunteer position at Pearson as the campus Chaplain. It has been nostalgic as I often imagine what it might have been like for my father to attend this school. But I really am experiencing it for the first time. I feel like just being here I am travelling the world. I love the immersion of the many differing cultures and languages. Each person I met has a different story and is often from a part of the world I have yet to explore. I love exploring the world through the beautiful array of people here at Pearson. I consider this opportunity such a gift in which I already feel I am learning so much through. Living at Pearson has forced me to have a deeper sensitivity and knowledge of the many ways to view the world. I am reminded of the limitless opportunity for possibility. What a space for creativity, growth, empowerment, and passion. The students remind me daily to always ask questions, to pursue what you are passionate about, and to take initiative. We are all leaders in different ways!

No comments:

Post a Comment