Monday 27 February 2017

Things That Keep, Things That Change



(Snow time at Pearson, before I arrived. Credit: Somchit Kittisak)

Last Wednesday morning, tucked into my comfy loft bed in the Tiny House, an ominous series of alarms shook me awake. I had been sleeping deeply, but gradually, the reptilian part of my brain began to register fear. 

It took a few moments to figure out the blaring noise was a campus-wide fire alarm.

Outside, the skies were still pitch black. I dressed quickly. As per the emergency protocol, I shuffled down the hill to the tennis courts to gather with the rest of the community. Under a gorgeous quarter moon, we shivered together. Sleepy-eyed students warmed one another under blankets and huddled beneath sleeping bags. House leaders ensured that everyone was accounted for. Residents dogs took the opportunity to make new friends.

We probably all remember fire drills from our time at Pearson. Waking up in a heavy fog and wondering it if was another drill or something more serious. Disaster planning and risk management have become big issues here on campus. Since I left, metal vaults of emergency earthquake supplies--food and water and first aid kits-- sit on high ground, behind the Max Bell, in the event of a tsunami. Protocols are in place which limit how students are able to engage in waterfront activities. Diving visits to Race Rocks are a thing of the past. It's been many years since students were permitted to drive.

And when it comes to fire drills? I'm sorry to report that Student Firefighters have also been relegated to the collective archival memory. 

"What's changed since you were here?" is the most common question students ask me, over meals or during workshops. There's a fascination with the tension between tradition and change. What did you perform at One World? What was Project Week like when you were a student? They're shocked to learn that we also performed Gumboot, sang Shosholoza in choir, danced imperfect Ukrainian while wearing the red spray-painted, secondhand boots Theo used to score from Value Village.

Village Gatherings

Speaking of villages, I took part in my first Village Gathering yesterday (they're no longer called Village Meetings). On the whole, these are somewhat more formal, very well organized affairs. I remember the sprawling, marathon sessions of my time, full of impassioned pleading and vigorous, unruly debate. Now, Gatherings are student-lead and meticulously planned. Every minute is accounted for. Agenda items are strictly enforced. They're more akin to non-profit Board meetings, with rules of engagement and protocols. Students meet with community 'stakeholders' and craft articulate proposals which are voted on for adoption, rejection, or further discussion by the community. There's even a proposal on the table to adopt anonymous, electronic voting in the future.

At yesterday's gathering, the Eco-Justice group presented a proposal for the College to divest from fossil fuels. Another group proposed changing the way decisions are made on campus. A discussion item was brought forward to explore the possibility of creating gender neutral bathrooms in common buildings on campus.

I was impressed by the preparation and efficiency of the meeting. But I also noticed that the proposals and the majority of the discussion was brought forward by students from North America and Europe. I was reminded of how challenging it can be for students still learning English to feel fully comfortable engaging with this level of procedural minutiae. Or for students from vastly different cultural and social communities to feel comfortable all the time voicing dissenting opinions. We grappled with these same issues during my own time at the College.

I'm sure you did, too. Any memories or reflections on your own Village Gatherings? Feel free to comment below. 


BONUS VIDEO: COOKIE BREAK ANNOUNCEMENTS




2 comments:

  1. Well, well, well I have to admit: most Village Meetings I attended are a blur almost 25 years down the road. I still remember one though, in which I was EXTREMELY nervous after having done "something" rather "unexpected" for our 2nd year TOK experiment and being called out on it by all faculty, staff and students during the village meeting...

    What I do remember though are a multitude of AMAZING performances during "No Talent Shows"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. one more thing: Since it is Yanina'a birthday today: I do remeber carrying her up to Max Bell for one of the fusr village meetings in our first year, with someone - not sure who it was though - whilst she was sporting a cast covering a broken leg ...

    ReplyDelete