Saturday 21 January 2017

What's New?

First week back is coming to a close and so much has happened!  The most common question I'm hearing, aside from "how does it feel to be back?" is "what's changed and what's still the same since you were here?" I'll break it down for you:

New: The Spiritual Centre. Oh my goodness this place is gorgeous. I showed up to teach a yoga class one afternoon and my jaw dropped. The large wall of windows juts out over the bay and the view is just stunning. High ceilings, yoga and meditation supplies, a quiet peaceful atmosphere, and lots of natural light make this a really special space, and ideal for communing with the divine. I taught a lovely group of students who were eager for more yoga, and by the end of class one of them was so relaxed she'd fallen asleep! (This I take as a good sign.)

Not New:  Most of the carpets on campus, the curtains in the dorms, and the common room furniture...yup still the same old stuff, holding strong! On Tuesday night I led a "Life After Pearson" talk with some students in the Common Room. They were surprised and a bit squeamish to hear the chairs we were lounging on were the same ones me and my classmates lounged on over twenty years ago. Good things are built to last I suppose!

New: The Village Gathering. In my time they were called Village Meetings and it's been changed to "Gathering" to be more inclusive and less formal sounding. Nevertheless the meeting itself was way more formal than I had ever experienced. Desiree spoke from behind a podium and students occasionally approached a microphone in the aisle to ask her questions. She was the only person to take the stage the entire meeting. And the meeting ended promptly after 1.5 hours. In my day, my friends and I would each knit a scarf during the interminable village meetings and by the end of the year we had some very very very long scarves representing the countless hours we'd spent in those meetings. While the shorter meeting format is no doubt more efficient, I do miss the more casual atmosphere and the opportunity for several different community members to present ideas from the stage.

Not New: Everyone is very busy and very tired! Maybe it's the time of year but the most common theme I am hearing from students is "I'm so busy" and "I'm so tired." With the rosy-coloured glasses of nostalgia I had forgotten how, in my time here, I was often overwhelmed with how busy I was, and how tired I felt too. Pearson students are, for the most part, over-achievers who love getting involved in a lot of activities, and want to excel in academics at the same time. Perhaps the IB is more demanding now than it was (I don't think so but the students do) but no matter what, I believe Pearson students will always be struggling to find balance and calm in their lives here.

New: Cafeteria food actually has some healthy options! There are fresh greens at almost every meal. Vegetarian options are tasty. Fresh fruit are always available. You can even get rice milk for your cereal in the morning! They have been very accommodating to my plant-based diet and I have enjoyed many of the meals. Nothing beats home-cooking of course, but compared the to the deep fried, all-white, highly processed slop from 20 years ago, these students have got it gooood.

Not New: The rain. The rain. The never-ending rain.

New: One World auditions. 3 full days of auditions. Very formalized, very organized. I seem to remember our audition process being a bit haphazard, if there even was one. Being a part of this year's selection committee I am astonished at the level of organization, competition, and formalization of the process. I'm sure it's a great improvement and I only wish i was able to see the show with all the cool new dances, songs, and spoken word pieces. We're also auditioning for the emcee position, something we did not have when I was in One World. This seems to be a coveted role as this year 32 people auditioned for only 4 spots. We've got some big decisions to make tomorrow. Yikes!

Not New: Gumboot dance is still going strong. This is one of my favorite memories of my time at Pearson, something I took away and was able to teach to others after I left. I am still very moved by the dance and so happy to see that the tradition continues.

I've got lots more to tell you about my public speaking and clowning workshops I've been teaching, the library vibe, the volunteers on campus and the tiny house life. Stay tuned for my next blog post dear people!










1 comment:

  1. Aaaah, this post really makes me miss Pearson! I gotte return soon too :D

    ReplyDelete