Tuesday 17 January 2017

Twenty Years Later...

Hello everyone!

Well, I'm back at Pearson College for the first time since graduating 20 years ago. Many people are asking me "how does it feel to be back?" I must say, aside from coming down with a bit of a cold upon arrival, it feels great! Walking around the campus I am reminded of how lucky I was to have been a student here. The college is such a special place on so many levels. The setting, for one, is just heavenly. The forest, the ocean, the mossy rocks, the variety of bright greens everywhere, and the fresh pacific air all form such a lavish landscape, so different from the concrete urban structures of other high-schools I've known. Part of me wants to look every student in the eye and say to them "YOU ARE SO LUCKY TO BE HERE!" Or perhaps they already know that.

The vibrant youthful energy on campus hasn't changed a bit. When I arrived on Sunday there was a soccer match going on in the tennis court area and the hooting and hollering drew me down to watch for a spell. It took me back to my time here when we'd train for the Golden Shoe, or just shoot some hoops at the end of a full day of classes. There seems to be a good emphasis on maintaining physical health here on campus. I look forward to Fitness day on Thursday, something new since my time, and the 5k run scheduled for next week. Better get my trainers on!

I was happy to see that Rusty's Shed is still alive and well. Apparently nobody knows why it was called Rusty's Shed. Well, I can tell you! When I was here in 1996 myself and my second year from USA Russell Menyhart decided it was high time that the college started recycling. And to do that we needed a recycling facility. So, Russell and I and a few other students, got some wood and tools and built the little building now known as Rusty's Shed. We hoped that by creating a place where recycling could be sorted and managed, that we would cut down on college waste ending up in landfills. It was a novel concept at the time! We named the shed after Russell (Rusty), for all the work he put into it. Here's to Rusty's shed surviving another 20 years!

I've got lots more to tell you. Lots to say about Tiny House living and life on campus. But for now I've got to sign off and head to a Village Meeting.
Stay tuned for more!


No comments:

Post a Comment